By: Karen Amend, Director of Development
Love is a strange thing. Sometimes we give love to get love. Sometimes we forget to love ourselves and at other times the power of love heals and can hurt.
How then do we show our love?
Consider these possibilities.
- Love yourself. We can’t give away what we don’t have. Simple, is not always easy.
- Follow the life instructions taught by our beloved animal companions:
- Ask for what you want.
- Rest when you are tired.
- Encourage your beloved to adopt the same life code.
- Forget about being a martyr. The job description in relationships leads to a poor ending.
- Give laughter and smiles. They fit everyone’s budget and size.
- Try to be clear about gift-giving. Refrain from buying a coffee maker for someone who doesn’t drink coffee because you want one.
- Set time together as a priority. If time together is the last thing on the list, ask why.
- Really listen. Can you repeat back what you’ve heard?
- Do nothing. The most precious gift is you, not what you do.
- Express gratitude and forgiveness – including for yourself.
- Follow the life instructions taught by Jesus our brother and teacher:
- Above all else, love God.
- Love ourselves.
- Love others.
Leave a Reply