Resident Sr. Mary Henry Bernard, OSU created a display of items related to the Passion of Christ.
The wood used for the cross came from trees at the Abbey of Gethsemani in Kentucky. It is draped with purple and there are red dots where his hands and feet would have been nailed to the wood.
A list of the other items and the words Sr. Mary Henry includes in her display are listed below. We are grateful for this visual reminder of Christ’s Passion during this Lenten season.
– Rock for Satan – Satan tempted Eve and sin began. Jesus said He would come to save all of us.
– Coins – Judas sold Jesus for 40 pieces of silver.
– Rooster – A rooster crowed as Jesus walked by Peter; Peter remembered Jesus telling him before the cock crowed Peter would deny Him three times.
– Scourges – Jesus was scourged for our sins.
– Crown of Thorns – Jesus was crowned as a king in mockery
– Hammer and Nails – A hammer was used to pound nails into the hands and feet of Jesus to hang Him from the cross
– Sponge – A sponge on a reed was dipped in gall and sour wine and offered to Jesus to drink
– Cross – The True Cross on which Jesus died
– Another Rock – The Rock in Gethsemane where Jesus suffered
– Perfect Love
Leave a Reply